Wednesday, November 9, 2011

my passion-meet me though this post...

I'm pouring my heart out to you people... I may cry... You may tear up... But I need this...

God changed my life a few summers ago. We attended a summer retreat in Texas... The Arlington Project. I had previously taken two years of Spanish in high school (didnt pay attention a lick because i wouldnt need it *yeaaaaah...whatever*). Anyhow- one specific day we were doing a childrens ministry in a Hispanic apartment complex. As we were going door to door many of the people spoke English...we were on our LAST DOOR and the lady in there couldnt speak English at all. We struggled with her for about 10 minutes trying to explain what we were doing. She had a younger boy *cute as a button* and an older boy...probably around 14 or so. After trying and trying and trying to explain...stumbling with the little bit of Spanish that my group knew... the older boy stood up and said, "It's okay--I got this." and he started telling his mom *in Spanish* what we were TRYING to say. "WAAAAIT a second! You speak English!?" was all that I could say. He just laughed and said yeah.

He changed my life. A little while later we were hanging out in the center of the complex hanging out with all of these precious Hispanic kids... they clung to me... they sat in my lap and twirled my hair... they tried to take me home with them.

They changed my life.

Since then God has been laying them on my heart. I decided to just surrender to Him and give Him whatever it was that was making me feel that connected to those specific people.

Slowly, He began molding my passion for Hispanic people... specifically Mexicans. I'm only in my first year of Spanish since then...

At least once a week I come across a Hispanic family in Jtown or even here. Everytime i do... my heart swells.

Tonight reminded me why God has given me this fire...

Randi, Jacob, and I decided to go eat at Tampicos. We were in a booth behind this PRECIOUS little boy and his mom. He looked at me and...well...my heart melted. I waved at him and he smiled and hid his face. When he looked at me again I said boo... thus the beginning of a long game of peeky boo :)

I cried... thats all i could do... cry. I listened to him and his mom talk and i could pick up bits and pieces of what they were saying. That in itself was beautiful to me. These people that I love... the culture that I so badly want to be a part of... I could understand the language!
It was beautiful.

So, I kept crying.

When we were leaving, I asked the man who waited on us if the little boy could speak both English and Spanish and he said yes. As soon as the kids go to school, they come back and know English as well as they do Spanish. We talked about my passion for the language and how I want to be fluent. He gave me hope that once i'm immersed... it will come easier.

I was already ready to cry more...

but here's the kicker...

When i was leaving...i waved bye to the little boy... He smiled and started blowing me kisses...

That was beautiful.

All through high school... my heart was here at WBC. Last semester... my heart was here at WBC. Now? My heart is in Mexico... I've never been...but I KNOW that God didn't give me this passion for no reason. I KNOW without a shadow of doubt that He has a plan for me and it includes my precious Mexican babies.

As much as I love it here... my heart isnt in it anymore...

I'm ready for my life to begin there... with the people that I love so dearly...

No comments:

Post a Comment